It’s a healthy take on the classic Alfredo Sauce which is typically made with butter, flour, cream, and milk, served over pasta. This healthier version is called Caulifredo Sauce which is made of.. guess what, pureed Cauliflower!! To take the health factor up a notch, I decided to serve it over zucchini pasta instead of regular wheat pasta.
1) First, use your vegetable peeler to slice the zucchini into either long linguine style strips or thin spaghetti like strips.
Once you’ve finished peeling all the zucchini, set it aside. Doesn’t it look gorgeous?!
2) Mince garlic and chop cauliflower into smaller florets.
3) In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat and throw in the garlic. Let the garlic release its aromatics and turn slightly brown.
4) Add soy milk, salt, and cauliflower. Add mozzarella and stir throughly.
5) You can omit this if you want a vegetarian dish, but I oven baked some turkey sausages and sliced it up.
6) Be careful not to overheat your milk or else it will curdle!! Cook for about 15 minutes or until cauliflower can be pierced easily with a fork.
7) To cook your ‘pasta’, blanch the zucchini linguine in hot boiling water for 2-3 minutes to soften it.
8) Turn off the heat and let the cauliflower mixture sit for 10 minutes to cool down. Then toss the mixture into a blender and blend away!
There you have it, Cauli-fredo sauce over zucchini pasta!
This is an extremely healthy and easy recipe to make at home with very little ingredients required. Because I only used a little bit of salt, it tasted a bit bland so for you guys I suggest throwing in some spices before blending it to give it more flavour. OR.. throw in half a cup of delicious Parmesan to make it extra CHEESYY.
All in all, worth a try if you’re looking for a healthy alternative to butter based cream and white pasta. 🙂 Let me know how yours turns out!