Welcome back to Day 8 of my 10 Days of Cozy One Pot Recipes! Today, we’re diving into a dish that’s a game-changer for mac ‘n’ cheese enthusiasts – a high-protein twist featuring creamy cottage cheese. This recipe combines the comforting flavours of traditional mac ‘n’ cheese with a protein-packed swap. Let’s get cooking!
What Makes High Protein Cottage Cheese Mac ‘n’ Cheese Special?
Protein Powerhouse: This dish swaps out heavy cream, milk, and flour for cottage cheese, elevating the protein content without sacrificing creaminess
Creamy and Comforting: The combination of cottage cheese, pasta water, and parmesan creates a velvety texture that’s both satisfying and indulgent
One Pot Wonder: Just like the 40 Clove Chicken, this cottage cheese pasta (mac ‘n’ cheese) only needs one pot. Perfect for those busy weeknight dinners!
Customizable: Feel free to add your favourite veggies or protein sources to make this dish uniquely yours!
Kid-Friendly: Even picky eaters will love this wholesome twist on a classic favourite
I used Dairyland’s 2% Cottage Cheese (250g tub) which has 240 calories for the whole tub and 34g of protein!
Popular Substitutions & Additions:
Tomato Rosé Sauce: Feel free to omit the cheddar/mozzarella cheese and instead add in a cup of your favourite tomato sauce! Combined with the cottage cheese, it’ll create a smooth and velvety rosé sauce.
Veggies: Add as many veggies as you’d like and just make sure to add it to pasta while it’s cooking if it’s a hard vegetable like carrots. Veggies that take a shorter amount of time to cook like kale, spinach, or even chopped up grape tomatoes can go in at the same time as the peas in this recipe
Protein: You can add in any protein you’d like to this dish! From sausages, to ground turkey, to even cubed tofu, the world is your oyster. If you want to keep it completely one pot, brown or lightly saute the protein first, set it aside in a bowl, and then pour in the water to start cooking the pasta.
How to Store Leftovers:
Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat, simply microwave with a few drops of water until heated through.
Want more easy recipes like this? Here are some of my go-to recipes that I’m sure you’ll love!
- Viral Sushi Bomb Spring Rolls (Kid Friendly)
- Easy MATCHA Mochi Brownie Recipe (for matcha lovers)
- Best Focaccia Bread Recipe
- Easy Soy Cured Egg Yolk Recipe (and 3 ways to enjoy it!)
Check out my other 10 Days of Cozy One Pot Recipes!
- Day 1 – One Pot Masago Udon
- Day 2 – Viral Crispy Feta Fried Eggs
- Day 3 – Mille-Feuille Nabe Hot Pot (Cabbage and Pork Belly)
- Day 4 – One Pot Hainanese Chicken Rice (in a Rice Cooker!)
- Day 5 – Easy One Pot Shakshuka (with a SECRET Ingredient)
- Day 6 – Soothing Seaweed Soup (with Pork Balls, and Soft Tofu)
- Day 7 – One Pot 40 Clove Chicken
One Pot High Protein Cottage Cheese Pasta (Mac 'n' Cheese)
- 1 large non-stick pan (ie. Always Pan)
- 1 blender or food processor
- 1 tub 2% fat Cottage Cheese 250g
- 16 oz pasta of your choice
- 4 cups water roughly (you'll need to adjust based on your pasta shape and pot size)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese optional
- 3/4 cup edamame or peas or other veggies of your choice
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In your pot or Always Pan, add in your dry pasta and add enough water to submerge the pasta but little enough to have it eventually evaporate. You should use roughly half the amount of water you usually do.
- While it's cooking, empty the entire contents of the cottage cheese into a blender of food processor and blend until smooth.
- When pasta is 70% cooked and still very al dente, check if most of the water has evaporated. If not, drain until there is about 1 cup of water left in the pot.
- Add in your whipped cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, cheddar/mozzarella cheese, and veggies. Mix until well combined and cheese is smooth and completely melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
I use the Our Place Always Pan 2.0 for most of my One Pot recipes. I highly recommend it!
Thank you for joining me on Day 8 of our 10 Days of Cozy One Pot Series! I hope this High Protein Cottage Cheese Pasta becomes a new household favourite.
I hope you’re inspired to try this recipe for yourself and don’t forget to comment on my IG reel/TikTok or in this blog post telling me what you thought of this recipe!