Welcome to Day 4 of my 10 Days of Cozy One Pot Recipes! Today, I’m thrilled to share with you my all-time favourite recipe of the series: One Pot Hainanese Chicken Rice cooked right in a rice cooker! This dish is a symphony of flavors, featuring succulent chicken, fragrant rice, and a medley of aromatic spices. Whether you have a rice cooker or not, I’ve got you covered with alternative stovetop instructions so don’t worry at all!
First, let’s talk about why One Pot rice cooker recipes are so awesome!
One pot rice cooker recipes are a culinary game-changer for several reasons:
- Efficiency: They simplify meal preparation by combining all ingredients in one vessel, minimizing cleanup
- Flavour Infusion: Cooking rice and proteins together allows for the mingling of flavours, resulting in a dish that’s incredibly tasty!
- Even Cooking: The rice cooker ensures even heat distribution, yielding perfectly cooked grains and proteins every time
- Versatility: From grains to proteins and vegetables, the rice cooker can handle a wide range of ingredients, making it a versatile kitchen tool
What is Hainanese Chicken Rice?
Hainanese Chicken is a beloved Singaporean dish characterized by:
- Poached Chicken: The chicken is poached until tender, resulting in succulent, juicy meat
- Ginger and Garlic Sauce: Served with a mixture of ginger, garlic, and oil – it adds a spicy, aromatic kick to the clean tasting chicken
- Fragrant Rice: The rice is cooked in chicken broth and infused with the flavours of the poached chicken and aromatic spices (chicken rice is truly THE BEST)
It’s best eaten immediately but if you do have leftovers, the chicken, rice, and ginger scallion sauce store perfectly well in the fridge for 2-3 days. For the rice and chicken, just microwave it and add a few drops of water to make it soft and succulent again.
Want more easy recipes like this? Here are some of my go-to recipes that I’m sure you’ll love!
- Viral Sushi Bomb Spring Rolls (Kid Friendly)
- Easy MATCHA Mochi Brownie Recipe (for matcha lovers)
- Best Focaccia Bread Recipe
- Easy Soy Cured Egg Yolk Recipe (and 3 ways to enjoy it!)
Check out my other 10 Days of Cozy One Pot Recipes!
- Day 1 – One Pot Masago Udon
- Day 2 – Viral Crispy Feta Fried Eggs
- Day 3 – Mille-Feuille Nabe Hot Pot (Cabbage and Pork Belly)
Easy One Pot Hainanese Chicken Rice (Rice Cooker Recipe)
- 1 rice cooker or non-stick soup pot!
- 2 cup jasmine rice use the "cup" that comes with your rice cooker!
- 2 chicken legs substitute any time with chicken wings, breast, or thighs!
- 4 slices ginger
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 can chicken broth (412ml)
- 1.5 tsp tumeric
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 tsp sesame oil
- sprinkle green onions optional
Ginger Scallion Oil
- 1-2 tbsp chopped green onions / scallions
- 1-2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/3 cup avocado oil or any other high smoke point oil
- In a large bowl, mix together chicken, tumeric, and soy sauce. Once it's combined, add in sesame oil and mix again.
- Wash your jasmine rice twice or until the water is no longer cloudy and runs clear. Add it to your rice cooker.
- Add chicken broth to your rice cooker and fill it up to the "2" line (if using 2 'cups' of rice). Make sure you are using the cup that comes with your rice cooker. If you like your rice a bit softer, add 1/4 cup more water or broth.
- Add your minced garlic, minced ginger, and ginger slices and mix thoroughly.
- Place the marinated chicken on top of the rice/broth mixture and green onions (optional).
- Close the rice cooker and cook it using your white rice setting! Now set it and forget it!
- For your ginger scallion oil, in a small glass container, add in your minced garlic, minced ginger, and chopped scallions/green onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small pot, heat up your avocado oil on medium heat. After few minutes, put a wooden chopstick in your oil to check if any air bubbles come from the chopstick. Once you see air bubbles, the oil is hot enough. Turn off heat.
- Carefully pour the hot oil directly on top of the ginger garlic scallion mixture and watch it sizzle! Once all the oil is in the container, give it a good stir and you're done!
- Once the rice cooker finishes cooking, remove the chicken and scoop the rice into a bowl. Place the bowl upside down on a plate and put chicken pieces on the side. Add the ginger scallion oil on top of the rice and chicken and enjoy!
I use the Our Place Always Pan 2.0 for most of my One Pot recipes. I highly recommend it!
And there you have it – enjoy this comforting and flavourful One Pot Hainanese Chicken Rice straight from your rice cooker! The aromatic blend of ginger, garlic, and turmeric will leave your taste buds wanting more.
I hope you’re inspired to try this recipe for yourself and don’t forget to comment on my IG reel/TikTok or in this blog post telling me what you thought of this recipe!