Welcome to Day 10 of my 10 Days of Cozy One Pot Recipes!
We’re at the end of this series and today, we’re going to make something super special and unique. Ragu Tteokbokki! This inventive twist on classic tteokbokki promises a medley of rich flavours, all in one pot. Not only is it a absolutely delicious, but it’s also a family-friendly recipe that cleverly incorporates those leftover veggies in your fridge.
What is Tteokbokki (Korean Rice Cakes)?
- Tteokbokki (떡볶이) is a popular Korean street food and comfort dish
- It features cylindrical or oval-shaped rice cakes made from glutinous rice flour!
- The rice cakes have a chewy, dense texture, similar to mochi but with a bit more bite
- They are relatively bland on their own, making them a perfect canvas for absorbing sauces and flavours
How do you cook Tteokbokki?
- Tteokbokki is typically cooked in a spicy and slightly sweet red chili pepper paste-based sauce known as gochujang
- The sauce is rich, savory, and packs a bit of heat, though the spiciness can be adjusted to personal preference
- It is also often eaten as street food, or as a side dish in restaurants and is relatively inexpensive
What does Ragu Tteokbokki taste like?
Even though you’re adding a tablespoon of Korean red pepper paste (gochujang), the sweetness of the fire roasted tomatoes and tomato paste actually mellows out the spice and the dish is not at all spicy. Even spice wimps like me can 100% enjoy this, as well as kids!! You have to give it a try to know what I’m talking about. Just trust me on this ???? Of course, you can always omit the gochujang and it’ll still taste amazing. It just adds a depth of flavour to the dish that takes it to a whole nother level.
Want more easy recipes like this? Here are some of my go-to recipes that I’m sure you’ll love!
- Viral Sushi Bomb Spring Rolls (Kid Friendly)
- Easy MATCHA Mochi Brownie Recipe (for matcha lovers)
- Best Focaccia Bread Recipe
- Easy Soy Cured Egg Yolk Recipe (and 3 ways to enjoy it!)
Check out my other 10 Days of Cozy One Pot Recipes!
- Day 1 – One Pot Masago Udon
- Day 2 – Viral Crispy Feta Fried Eggs
- Day 3 – Mille-Feuille Nabe Hot Pot (Cabbage and Pork Belly)
- Day 4 – One Pot Hainanese Chicken Rice (in a Rice Cooker!)
- Day 5 – Easy One Pot Shakshuka (with a SECRET Ingredient)
- Day 6 – Soothing Seaweed Soup (with Pork Balls, and Soft Tofu)
- Day 7 – One Pot 40 Clove Chicken
- Day 8 – High Protein Cottage Cheese Pasta
- Day 9 – Kabocha Squash Soup Hack
One Pot Ragu Tteokbokki
- 1 non-stick skillet or Always Pan
- 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes 198ml
- 450 g tteokbokki (Korean rice cakes) - defrosted or fresh
- 1/3 onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 340 g ground beef or plant based ground meat
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- On medium heat, add a bit of oil to non-stick skillet or Always Pan.
- When the oil is hot, add in your ground beef or plant based ground meat. Stir fry for 30 seconds and add Italian seasoning. Mix well and toss for 30 more seconds to a minute (until all meat is heated through and thoroughly cooked).
- Remove skillet from heat and set aside ground meat in a medium bowl.
- Using the same skillet, place it back on the burner and bring the heat back to medium. Add a bit more oil.
- Add in chopped onions and chopped zucchini.
- Toss and cook for 3 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add in garlic and toss for 1 more minute.
- Add in your ground meat mixture as well as two cans or fire roasted tomatoes. If it needs more liquid, add 1/3 to 1/2 cup water as needed.
- Add in your defrosted Korean rice cakes and mix well until all rice cakes are coated in liquid. Cover lid and let it cook/steam for 5 minutes.
- Add in tomato paste and gochujang paste and mix well.
- Bring heat to low and let it simmer for another 5 - 10 minutes or until rice cakes have completely soften. Make sure to mix often so nothing sticks to the pan.
- Turn off heat and serve!
I use the Our Place Always Pan 2.0 for most of my One Pot recipes. I highly recommend it!
Thank you for joining me on Day 10 of our 10 Days of Cozy One Pot Series! I hope you enjoyed this entire cozy series, perfect for Fall. ????
Please give these recipes a try for yourself and don’t forget to comment on my IG reel/TikTok or in this blog post telling me what you thought of this recipe!