Welcome to Day 8 of my 10 days of Easy Hacks and Recipes. Today, I’m about to share a secret that might just change your perspective on bitter melon forever. Yes, I know it’s a love-it-or-hate-it kind of vegetable, but hang on – did you know that bitter melon comes with a treasure trove of health benefits? From powerful antioxidants to blood sugar-regulating compounds, this veggie is truly a hidden gem!!
Prepare to be amazed as we dive into the world of Goya Champuru – a delightful Okinawan dish that turns bitter melon into a delectable stir-fry sensation. I first heard about this when I was planning my Okinawan wedding. We didn’t end up having our wedding in Okinawa, but this dish caught my eye and I’ve been making it at home ever since! If you’ve ever shied away from this green gem due to its intense bitterness, fear not! I’ve got a nifty trick up my sleeve that will make you a bitter melon believer.
Health Benefits of Bitter Melon:
- Antioxidant Rich: Bitter melon is loaded with antioxidants that help combat oxidative stress and reduce inflammation in the body
- Blood Sugar Regulation: Compounds in bitter melon have been shown to help lower blood sugar levels, making it beneficial for individuals with diabetes or those looking to manage their blood sugar
- Weight Management: Bitter melon is low in calories and carbohydrates, making it a great addition to weight management diets
- Digestive Health: The dietary fiber in bitter melon can aid in digestion and promote a healthy gut by supporting regular bowel movements
- Vitamin and Mineral Source: Bitter melon is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin A, and potassium
- Immune System Support: The vitamins and antioxidants in bitter melon contribute to a strengthened immune system, helping the body fight off infections and illnesses
- Skin Health: The antioxidants in bitter melon can help protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals, potentially contributing to healthier skin
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Bitter melon’s anti-inflammatory properties may benefit conditions such as arthritis and other inflammatory disorders
- Heart Health: Some studies suggest that bitter melon may have a positive impact on heart health by helping to lower cholesterol levels and promote healthy blood pressure
- Cancer Prevention: Certain compounds in bitter melon are being studied for their potential anti-cancer effects, though research is still ongoing in this area
Remember that while bitter melon has many potential health benefits, it’s important to enjoy it as part of a balanced diet and consult with a healthcare professional if you have any specific health concerns or conditions.
- Okinawan Magic: Goya Champuru is an Okinawan dish that elevates bitter melon to a whole new level. Think easy stir-fry, starring not only bitter melon, but also tofu, egg, and bacon
- The Bitterness Remedy: Worried about the bitterness? Fear not! Sprinkle a bit of salt on those melon slices, wait a mere 5-10 minutes, and then rinse it away. Say goodbye to the overpowering bitterness and hello to a balanced flavor profile
- Healthy Indulgence: With just a few slices of bacon, Goya Champuru introduces richness and flavor without compromising on health. Pair it with a miso soup for a complete dinner that satisfies without loading up on carbs
Check out my other 10 Days of Easy Hacks and Recipes!
- Day 1 – Frozen Fruit Shaved Ice (Viral recipe)!
- Day 2 – Viral Magic Shell Yogurt Cup Recipe
- Day 3 – Soy Cured Egg Yolk Recipe
- Day 4 – Spinach and Egg White Rice Paper Wrap Recipe
- Day 5 – Fruity Blueberry Dark Chocolate Bark Recipe
- Day 6 – Lazy One Pot Japchae Recipe
- Day 7 – Korean Corn Dog Hack
Want more easy healthy recipes like this? Here are some of my go-to recipes that I’m sure you’ll love!
- Viral Sushi Bomb Spring Rolls (Kid Friendly)
- Delicious Mochi Brownie Recipe (super easy)
- Easy MATCHA Mochi Brownie Recipe (for matcha lovers)
😎 DAY 8 of 10 – EASY HACKS AND RECIPES 💚 OKINAWAN BITTER MELON DISH (Goya Champuru) 👍 This is my FAVOURITE way to eat bitter melon!! 💃💃 Bitter melon actually has SOOO many health benefits so it’s worth trying to find ways to enjoy it 🥰 It’s known to be: ✨ antioxidant rich- helps with inflammation ✨ blood sugar regulation – compounds that help lower blood sugar levels ✨immune system support – vitamins and antioxidants help strengthen the immune system ✨ heart health – studies suggest it may have a positive impact on heart health by lowering cholesterol levels and promoting healthy blood pressure 👉🏻 Follow @eatingwithkirby for Day 9 of my 10 Days of Easy Hacks and Recipes! 🌟 Click the link in my bio to get the FULL recipe 🌟 #10daysofeasyhacksandrecipes #goyachampuru #japanesefood #bittermelon #okinawa #easyrecipe
Goya Champuru (Favorite Bitter Melon Recipe)
- 1 non-stick pan or Always Pan 2.0 from Our Place
- 1 bitter melon
- 1 tsp salt for removing bitterness (will be rinsed)
- 2-3 slices bacon
- 2 eggs
- 454 g medium firm tofu (1 package) - I use Sunrise brand
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup dashi (fish stock) or chicken/vegetable broth
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- Sprinkle bonito flakes thin dried skipjack tuna flakes (can be found at most Japanese supermarkets)
- Cut the bitter melon in half lengthwise and remove all of the seeds with a spoon.
- Sprinkle on salt and wait about 5-10 minutes. Rinse the bitter melon well wth water and drain or pat down with paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Cut your bacon into thin strips.
- Beat your eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
- Remove your tofu from the package and gently pat down with a paper towel to remove all the moisture on the surface.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, add in your bacon. Stir fry until most of the oil has been released and bacon is golden brown. Remove bacon pieces and set aside.
- Gently rip tofu into medium to large pieces and cook them in the bacon fat until golden brown on all sides.
- Add in your bitter melon and toss with bacon for 30 seconds.
- Make a well in the middle of the pan and add in your beaten eggs.
And just like that, you’ve unlocked the potential of bitter melon with Goya Champuru. This Okinawan creation is a symphony of flavors and wellness benefits so there is no reason not to try it. ???
I hope you’re inspired to try this recipe for yourself and don’t forget to comment on my IG reel/TikTok or in this blog post telling me what you thought of this recipe!